Sunday 23 February 2014

Chapter 1.25 How I Met Your Mother

Thomas waited until after school to tell Rosie about her mother


Obviously he wasn't all too comfortable with this, but he kinda owed it to Rosie. After all, he hasn't even mentioned anything of her mother around her. Probably because when she was younger, he was more focused on making sure he spent time with her and stayed on top of his work.



He sighed slightly, looking at her. His little princess who used to have a braid and wear a little dress with a duck on it was almost all grown up.
He then asked "Are you sure you want to know?" He looked at her, and there was a slight hope that she would say no.
Rosie nodded though, half smiling. "I'm sure, but what about Erin and Connor? What if they listen in?" She asked, knowing this can't be easy for her Daddy.
"Erin's out with her guitar and Connor's doing some work experience at the business building. So its just you, me and Alyssa." He glanced over to check Alyssa was still okay playing with the doll house.


"You're sure you want to know though, right?" He asked, one last time. He really wanted some way out of telling this story.
She laughed a little "I'm sure, I want to know."
With a deep breathe, he began to tell the story of how he met Rosie's mother.


"Me and your mother were practically inseparable, we grew up together. Neither of us had too much of a family, so we just stuck together through everything. She was my best friend, and I was hers. We were our own family, and we didn't need or want anyone else. Neither of us payed attention in school, and neither of us were role model students either..." He started, hating how quickly the memories of Roxie came back to him as he then continued to tell the story.


"There was this abandoned barn we always used to hang out at. It just me and her, never anyone else. We doubted if anyone else even knew about it. It was freezing in winter, we would usually just sit in the hay that there was upstairs, and in summer it was way too hot." He grinned, thinking about it in summer. "Most of the time, we just sat there in our underwear, once even-"
Rosie quickly interrupted "Don't. Need. To. Know." She covered her ears. She was pretty sure she didn't need to know that much. "If you and Mom were happy, why did she leave?"




He stayed quiet for a moment, before saying in a quiet voice "That's what I wondered too." He sighed softly, looking at the space next to his feet. The silence made Rosie feel as if she made a mistake in what she asked. 
"Can you tell me what happened right before she left?" She asked. She knew her Daddy probably didn't want to talk about it, but she wanted to know. She wanted to know more about her mother.
"I'll tell you." He murmured.

"Your mom wasn't at school that day, and I was a little worried, but mainly pissed off she abandoned me that day at school."
"Wait, you had school?" Rosie asked, looking at him. 
He sighed, loudly, "I'm not that old Rosie, thanks by the way." He mumbled sarcastically. "Anyway, I was annoyed at her. But, I knew where she would be so I went to the barn."


"I waited outside the barn for a little bit, mostly to check no one was actually in there. I knew it was only your mother in there though. I heard her do something she almost never did, I heard her crying. I stayed outside for a moment, making sure it was actually her, and I went into the barn."


Rosie frowned a little, "Why was she upset?" 
"You can rush a story teller, Rosie. When I went inside, she stopped crying right away. That, I expected but if she was ever upset, she would usually go back to crying when she knew she was around me. This time was different though. I knew where she would be, sat near one of the bales of hay, usually either sat on the lowest one or her back to it."


"I asked her what was wrong, and she just shook her head. She didn't want to talk about it, but I wanted to know what was wrong with her. I stayed with her for a long time, hours went by and we were sat in silence. She eventually told me that her dad, your granddad, had kicked her out."
"Why?" Rosie interrupted again.
"I didn't know, she didn't say."


"Shocked by this, I then asked her why, and like I said, she refused to answer. She kept mumbling things under her breath, which is something she always used to do when she was worried. All I heard her mumble was something about mistakes and something else I couldn't understand. Whenever your mom got stressed, angry or worried, she would start doing that, and start making no sense at all. It was one of the reasons she wasn't good at school."


"I told her that me and her could find a place when we both graduated the next day. She shook her head though, and told me that she was moving away from Dragon Valley, and wanted to travel the world and do new things."

"I asked her why and she told me that she needed to get away from here, and there were bad things keeping her chained to here." Thomas sighed as he spoke, hating this memory. It was probably the one that hurt him most of all. The memory of his first heartbreak, and he didn't even know why.


"I wanted her to tell me what was wrong, and what she was hiding from me. She kept on changing the subject though. She refused to tell me what was wrong. I kept trying and she just kept shaking her head or saying something random. One of the subject changes was her asking things about my mom." He frowned a little, looking down.


"What happened to Grandma?" Rosie asked, never actually hearing anything being said about her grandmother.
"My own mom died when I was young, and my dad wasn't around so I got put into care." He shrugged, looking at Rosie again. "That's actually where you got your name from, or at least I'm guessing that's why your mom called you that. My mom was called Rosie too." He smiled a little.


"Anyway, when I finally did manage to get an answer off your mom, she said that she 'didn't want me having to be tied down to her'. I asked her what that meant and she kept shaking her head and saying that her and I weren't meant to be. She kept repeating different excuses, and I gave up on an answer. I gave up on whatever your mother might have wanted to say."


"I was angry and heartbroken. So I just walked out of the barn and left her alone. Thinking back on it now, I probably should have stayed to make sure she was actually alright. The next day, I graduated and I honestly had no clue what I would do. That's when I saw some military guys walk past, and I thought that because I didn't have a family to worry about me, I should go into a career like that."


"After I signed up was when I met Erin. She was new and only ever planned on staying with me for a few days." He couldn't help but laugh a little.
"She's kinda stayed for a little bit longer than a few days." Rosie pointed out, raising an eyebrow. "Why did she decide to stay here though?" She couldn't help but ask. 


"She stayed because that was when she found out about Connor, and she had next to no money, well, neither of us had a lot. So we stayed poor together because it would be a lot easier to afford things that way. There would be two people paying for the house, and we'd both be able to look after the baby while still being able to do what we want."


"Erin usually played her guitar for tips around town as a way to earn money, and that was when she met your mother. When I found out, I went to where your mother used to live when we were younger, and that's when I met you." He smiled at her, remembering exactly about the braid she had and the brown dress with the duck.


At some point during the story, Alyssa had wandered over and wanted to know what was going on. Neither of them noticed her until she started whining at Thomas's feet, wanting cuddles. He picked her up, and sat her down on his knee. "And the rest of that you should know." He sighed slightly, glad that was over with. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about your mother earlier, it was just a difficult thing to talk about."
Rosie shook her head a little bit "It's okay, I get it." She smiled slightly back. "Do you ever wish you were still with mom though?" She couldn't help but ask.


He thought about it, then shook his head. "I'm honestly happy the way everything has turned out so far. Sure we're not a perfectly normal family, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I have my two girls, Erin and Connor. Some people might look down on us because we're not the classic family, but what we have is more than good enough for me." He smiled, honestly meaning what he said. He loved his family.



His mini-speech about how happy he was made Rosie feel a little guilty. She's been keeping a really big secret from him for so long... 
She sighed softly "There's something I need to tell you." She mumbled, frowning.
He furrowed his eyebrows, honestly expecting the worst. "What do you need to tell me? It's nothing bad, is it?"
She pursed her lips a little, unsure if it was actually bad or not. She sighed, and quietly said. "I'm a witch."
Thomas blinked a few times, looking at his eldest daughter. He certainly was not expecting that.

Chapter 1.24 Well, Hello                                                                            
______________________________
AN: You guys know how I love a good cliffhanger...
I got 1000 pageviews! Whoop! But yeah, no other really important news really. Oh, and if you're a little confused, the black and white pictures are in the past

14 comments:

  1. Evil cliff-hanger!

    I'm happy that Rosie and her dad are finally able to have this talk. And that Rosie took the information so well. I look forward to seeing how Thomas reacts to the truth about Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliff hangers are my speciality ;)

      I'm happy they have too, its an important conversation to have, isn't it? I think that's the only past thing I'm going to get into for this gen. I doubt that Connor will be having that conversation with Erin, he's not as bothered about learning about his dad and it wouldn't be much of a story...

      I've got a few ideas for how he'll react. I just have to write them down.

      Delete
  2. Wow. So Roxie knew and refused to tell Thomas, and then just took off to live her life her way without a thought about Rosie... Poor Rosie. I wonder how she feels about her mom now? I mean, it's not like Roxie has really been corresponding with them has she? Actually, sounds like Roxie has sold everyone short.

    Loved Alyssa in her Daddy's lap! Better face shot there and I think she's a cutie!

    So! Now! How will Thomas react? Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are like that. They don't know how to tell others, so they run. To be honest, I don't think Rosie would have thought too highly of her mother in the first place.

      I love how Alyssa looks, she has Erin's eyes and Thomas's hair. The two things I love about them <3 And she was just lucked out, I did have a backup just in case.

      Ah, how will Thomas react? Well, you'll just have to wait and see...

      Delete
  3. FINALLYY!!!!
    I wonder if looking back on it has made it obvious to Thomas that Roxie was kicked out for being pregnant and that she was running so he wasn't stuck raising a baby... What I want to know, is what changed her mind? Was is really that the people she was with were going to influence her in a bad way, or was it something more? Did she decide she was bored of being a mother? Or did she resent her desicion? I guess we'll never know...

    Oooh! What will Thomas say to that one?! Probably the last thing he expected!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think looking back on it, he probably could tell that was why she got kicked out and why she was running. Unless if he was that clueless, but I don't think he is.
      As for why Roxie did give Rosie up... We won't know.

      I think that was far from expected. I know that if someone in my family just suddenly confessed that I wouldn't know what to think.

      Delete
  4. Mean cliffhanger! Now we've got to wait to find out what Thomas' reaction will be!

    So, Roxie got kicked out for being pregnant, refused to tell him, then came back and dumped their kid on him? Not a good situation, and not good decisions from her either. I can't help but wonder what might have happened had she told him back then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Sweetie, I just couldn't resist, that and it would end up being waaay too long if I didn't have a cliff hanger.

      Yeah, Roxie isn't too good at making decisions, is she? And if she did... Huh, that would be interesting, wouldn't it? A 'What could have been' chapter, like what they did in Friends. I think that if Roxie did tell him there an then, they would probably be together and we would never have met Erin or Connor and Alyssa never would have existed.... Ah, I don't like that reality >.<

      Delete
  5. Roxie had it tough getting kick out of her house, but it still wasn't right of her not to inform Thomas. Then again, maybe Thomas is just as much at fault for just walking away. I'd like to think if he just stayed without saying anything, Roxie might have confessed. But then we'd never have gotten to know Erin or Connor or Alyssa, so all's good now. :)

    Wow, Rosie doesn't believe in beating round the bush, does she? I'm really interested in seeing Thomas' reaction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he did stay around for longer and she told him, we wouldn't have this exact story and we wouldn't have ever met Erin or Connor. Alyssa may have been around but would probably look different, (Because Erin wouldn't be her mom, Roxie would)
      Ah, parallel sim universes are confusing!

      And no, she doesn't. Not at all like how her mom was. I don't plan on her being the beating around the bush type.

      Delete
  6. Haha! I love the ending (evil cliffhangers are my favorite). I'm looking forward to Thomas' reaction. Is Roxie ever going to show up again? I'm wondering what she looks like now, considering how she looked then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love evil cliffhangers, read Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. Most evil cliffhanger ever. I won't say because its spoilers, but basically I had no clue if these two people were alive or dead, and I had no clue for a full year. Evil.

      Books aside now. I'm not sure if we will ever see Roxie again, and if we do... I'm not sure if I'll keep her as a redhead (Like how she was waaay back in like, chapter 4. Wow, that was twenty chapters ago...) or I may make her blonde or give her dark hair, I'm not sure. I doubt we'll see her again though.
      *Throws confetti for you catching up on mine too*

      Delete
  7. Maybe it will help Rosie feel better about it if she knows that her mother abandoned Thomas, too.

    So she finally told Thomas she's a witch. I wonder if she'll tell him *how* she became a witch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess also the fact he was honest would make her feel a little better too, and finally being told about who her mother was.

      That's next chapter ;)

      Delete